Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thanksgiving for Illustration Friday

I offer thanks for every living creature that has escaped a cruel fate at the hands of humanity.

Malaysian Sun Bear on a Poppy blossom

Asian bears (such as the malaysian sun bear and the himalyan black bear) are particularly threatened by the use of bear gall bladder extract in traditional chinese medicine. The bears are captured, kept in small rusty cages and a metal pipe is stabbed into their body to extract their bile. They are in continuous pain because of the pipe and the subsequent bacterial infections they get and often chew their own paws off in agony.

....I'm so sorry bringing up all this sad stuff during your Thaksgiving holiday. Its just... I feel so sad and helpless when I see stuff like this, and there's fabulists like Mr. Make-believe here that only have to open their mouths to make things worse.

Thankfully there are sane people out there (www.wildaid.org and www.wspca.org) that are making a difference. Please, please, please If you know anyone that makes use of this stuff tell them NOTHING extracted from an animal is going to have any medicinal effect because it is protein, which means its made up of the SAME amino acids you get from all the other food you eat. Plus it gets broken down by the acid in your stomach so fat chance its going to retain whatever magical medicinal property its supposed to possess!
Sigh...
Rant over. Thank you for your patience!

11 comments:

Michelle Lana said...

Sweet illo :)

steve said...

Beautiful job. I've seen features on this and it still amazes me at how other living beings are treated by humans, all over the world, for some of the most ridiculous reasons, vanity usually at the top of the list. Anyhow, keep up the great work!

studio lolo said...

Very striking image TJ! I'm a member of the Humane Society of the United States as well as the SPCA. I'll look into this chapter and make my other friends aware of this terrible tragedy. Thanks for opening our eyes to this.

Unknown said...

Lovely!

° said...

wonderfull illo and comments

Amy Farrier said...

wow, powerful message. the mass of blue seedpods is beautiful against the poppy-red petals.

mademoisellelala said...

That is so horrible. I am here if you ever want to join forces and come up with some sort of petition/poster/whatever!

I love animals and this piece, although so sad, is adorable.

Tim - Mighty said...

Thanks for that kind comment on my "Clear" pic for IF :-)

..i dig these blue flowers in the backgound of youre bear pic.

take care

Tim

tellym@gmx.de

murphy girl said...

hi tj
thanks for stopping by my blog, and yes, my bird is hand-drawn. happy holidays!

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

I like your illustration, though I see a dog, because I wanted to see a dog, cause I love dogs. Nice work.

Peter said...

When you have a chance...I'll be happy to build a page featuring your words and images. Please, don't try to think too hard about it.

Just speak from the heart...

Stay Gold