Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Back again! (With a bug-y favicon!!)

Its 11:05 PM here (in New Zealand) and I just thought I'd put up a quick post. I've been trying to change the little icon (a 'favicon'-word of the day!) up there in the URL bar of my page. I've turned it into an abstract (butterfly-like) shape. The code seems to have some bugs in it though, sometimes it shows up, sometimes the blogger favicon shows up, and sometimes the internet explorer default shows up... I wonder if the butterfly is visible to anyone else? (Perhaps it only exists in my head.. :O)

In case anyone wants to know, this is how I did it:

Step 1: I found this really nice tutorial on making abstract shapes in Adobe Illustrator through Smashing Magazine.

Step 2: Played around a bit with the advice in the tutorial and finally settled on one I liked.

Step 3: Then I found this lovely tutorial on how to make a favicon in Photoshop and used it to turn the butterfly shape into a favicon.

Step4: I then uploaded the favicon to my flickr address (tried uploading it to myfavatar as suggested here but that didn't work because of glitches in the site. So I just reconfigured the code so kindly provided one the same page to accomodate a flickr image. And voila! I have a favicon! (Well.. in most browsers anyway... supposedly IE6 can't see png files or favicons in general...) Anyway I'll be pottering around tweaking things and hopefully changing the blog for the better!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello ,i see the icon im using sea monkey browser. i jsut made a favicon myself for our website through my hostway merchantmanger. it did it for me and i only loaded a pic and it resized it an everyhting. my website is www.godscreationsundeerthesea.com
then click in to the main store. god's creations under the sea were a online saltwater fish store selling of course fish, live rock, sharks, aquariums and supply. i cant see myon favicon in any other browser than this one :( so i dont know if anyone can see mine either it is a purple animated fish. and it is so small.

Ana Laura said...

Hi, I see your favicon if i open your blog with the Mozilla Firefox, but not if i open internet explorer. I tried this because i have the same problem. I created a pretty favicon of a small golden apple for my blog, uploaded it, and included the html code and all. The favicon appears if i use Firefox, but when i open my blog using IE it just shows me the B of Blogger. Its frustrating! but i guess it's a browser problem. See for yourself: www.erisada.blogspot.com